A Member Of My Team Lies




Dear JJ,
I have a manager who works for me and I have just found out that she has a reputation with her co-workers and subordinates for not telling the truth.  This came to light when one of her non-truths endangered a deal we were working on.   I know what to do about her, my question is, how do I address all the others on my team who kept their concerns from me about her?  
Signed,
Betrayed Squared


Dear Betrayed Squared,
Yes, you were definitely let down by both the manager and the rest of your team.  I am going to suggest that while you thought your team knew you would want to know of any improprieties, they didn’t know that.  I suggest that you:
  1. Get over your frustration with the team.
  2. Think about any signals you may have sent that were counter to the openness you really want with your team.
  3. Then sit down with your team and set out some ground rules that everyone can agree to. It is important that you kick off the conversation, but it is equally important that they help set the rules.  
  4. Make sure that before you leave that room that everyone understands and agrees to the new rules.
Suggested Rules:
  • My door is always open.
  • Gossip is not of interest, but true concerns, even unsubstantiated ones are.
  • If as peers you have identified a problem and want to come in pairs, groups or singularly, please do.
  • Feel free to try to help each other.  Peer coach behaviors that you know are not good for the company.
  • If I, as the Director am not acting as you think I should and you have given me the chance, you can go to my boss.
Then the tough part, everyone has to follow these rules, whatever they are, even when it is hard.

Best of luck, let me know what rules your team decides.   
JJ

Comments